Welcome to the website of Irish Friends of Albania. We are a registered charity which aims to provide medical and humanitarian support to the people of Albania. Albania was the last country in Eastern Europe to emerge from Communist dictatorship.
Our links with Albania began in 2002 when Irish volunteers visited Mother Theresa Hospital in Tirana, Albania. This visit resulted in the transport from Albania to Ireland of Alba, a four year old Albanian girl suffering from severe burns. She was treated for four months in Galway and made a fine recovery.
In 2005, after a short visit to meet Professor Gjergji Belba in Mother Theresa Hospital, Tirana, we began to send full surgical teams to work together with the local hospital staff there. We have sent 6 medical teams, specialised in plastic and maxillo-facial surgery. Over 60 Irish surgeons, anaesthetists, doctors, nurses, bio-engineers and CSSD specialists have volunteered for these teams. We have been warmly welcomed by our Albanian colleagues and together we have achieved
– Over 300 operations for patients in need, most of whom are children
– 5 truckloads of essential equipment and hospital supplies
– On the job training and academic training for our Albanian colleagues
– A tele-medicine link between Ireland and Albania
We are grateful to all our volunteers and supporters. These include:
– Irish Aid for its support of our 3 year programme of collaboration with Mother Theresa Hospital, Albania 2012 to 2014.
– All our volunteer medical staff for their time, expertise and enthusiasm
– All our fundraising volunteers and the public of Galway and Ireland for their financial and material support
– Irish hospitals and medical companies for donations of equipment and supplies
– Priority Freight transport company for safe and subsidised deliveries to Albania
– The business community of Galway and Ireland for supporting our fundraising drives, in particular our Annual Charity Ball and our Annual Fashion Show.
In addition to our medical work we also provide friendship and support to the children in the Children’s Home in Tirana, Albania and we have installed solar water heating systems in 4 Children’s Homes throughout Albania.
We hope you enjoy your visit to our website and we would be delighted to hear from you. We welcome your support and participation.
Ní neart go cur le cheile.
Address: Irish Friends of Albania, 15 University Road, Galway, Ireland. Telephone: +353 91 585568. Fax: +353 91 524487. Website: www.irishfriendsofalbania.com. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org